Saturday, May 14, 2011

Windows 7 updates fail to install and are rolled back - again and again and again

Ever happen to you? Those automatic updates from Microsoft that usually just download and load up and self-configure at the next boot? Well with XP it has always run smoothly - if at times slowly - but with Windows 7 I have had more problems. Maybe because Win7 is on a laptop, or maybe not. So what's the beef?

Well some of these updates are big (like complete service packs) and can take hours to deploy on slow PCs on a slow network. So don't give up if it just appears to hang - wait it out.  But if Win 7 tries to configure the updates but stalls, gets to 16% or even 0% and then hangs for 5 minutes or so, thinking about life or whatever before rolling back and uninstalling the updates then you may have a problem. Of course you could just have a timeout (it's a common error code) - and it will fix itself next time around. But if you wait too long you'll fill your restore point cache with failed updates and be unable to roll back to when it all worked... ouch.

Restoring from a known working state is the usual solution, if you have such restore points available. (Make more space for your restore points, just in case. And make a recovery disk, too, just in case.)

You may also have a corrupt system file, too. You can scan your harddrive for errors and check that out.

But here's what worked for me - I did a scan to ensure that there were no file system errors and then shut down (yet again - probably after 5 or so failed updates). When completely shut down I unplugged everything bar the monitor - no USB keyboard, mouse or scanner. And restarted. Bingo! It updated perfectly!

Here are some other ideas, just in case....

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista and Windows 7
configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete

Windows update error: Code 80072F8F
I was having this issue with Windows 7 and it turned out to be the root certs. I downloaded / installed the update from the link below and it fixed the issue:


Windows update error: Code 80072F8F
As a last hope I restarted last night my ADSL modem, that has not been restarted since going back to normal time. This morning I tried again to update the computer and Oh, happy day! the updates started!!!
Anyway I have no idea whether the restarting of the modem helped.

Windows update error: Code 80072F8F
I was having this issue with Windows 7 and it turned out to be the root certs. I downloaded / installed the update from the link below and it fixed the issue:


Windows update error: Code 80072F8F
I have been going crazy trying to fix this Update problem plus my gadgets were not updating. Finally about the third time I fooled around with the clock I noticed that the YEAR was wrong. Duhhhh. It was Jan 2010 instead of 2011. Sheesh!

No comments: